Thank you for your interest in Riverbend Tae Kwon Do! The information below is being provided to give new students an idea of what to expect when they come to their first class. Please contact Mr. Rod if you have questions about your first day that aren't addressed below.
What to expect:
- Classes are an hour long. Adult class may go slightly longer, depending on the availability and enthusiasm of the students.
- Class will begin with a 10 to 20 minute long warm up. There are several formats of warm ups, depending on the lesson plan for that day. Warm ups include dynamic stretches designed to loosen up muscles and help prevent injury.
- There will be short water breaks (less than 1 minute) throughout class.
- Martial Arts practice is fun, hard work. Be prepared to sweat!
Below are some basic preparations to make before coming to class. Please be sure to:
- Bring a water bottle. Please avoid anything carbonated, as it likely will not sit well with the movement required during class.
- Trim fingernails and toenails. Tae Kwon Do means "Martial Art of Kicking and Punching" - long nails can cause injuries to both the student and to classmates.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Clothing should be loose fitting and something that the student will not mind sweating in.
- Leave jewelry at home, or bring a safe container for jewelry to be stored in during class. Rings, necklaces, earrings, and other items can cause injuries to both the student and to classmates.
For further answers to common questions, please have a look at the Frequently Asked Questions page.